Tuesday, June 4, 2013

When Ladies Meet (1941)

Back in February, I recommended the 1933 movie When Ladies Meet. I made a point of including hte year in the title of the blog post for a very good reason: that's not the only version of the film. In fact, the movie was remade in 1941, again with the title When Ladies Meet, and that version is airing at 2:00 PM tomorrow (June 5) as part of a salute to Robert Taylor, who doesn't get a regular birthday salute of his own since he was born in August.

Now, I have to admit that I don't think I've ever seen the 1941 version, so I can't compare the two versions of the movie much further than giving you all a heads-up. All I can do is give you the link to the post I did on the 1933 version if you want a plot synopsis, and mention who played the various roles in the two versions:

Mary, the author, was played by Myrna Loy in the original; her part is taken over by Joan Crawford.
Mary's friend Jimmie was played by Robert Montgomery in the 1933 version; it's Robert Taylor who takes on this role in tomorrow's showing.
Rogers Woodruff, the Mary's publisher and lover, was played first by Frank Morgan and then by Herbert Marshall.
Claire Woodruff was portrayed by Ann Harding in the original; that role is given to Greer Garson in the remake.
Finally, Bridget, the friend with the house in the country, was played by Alice Brady in 1933 and Spring Byington in 1941.

According to TCM's website, the 1941 version of When Ladies Meet has received a DVD release courtesy of the Warner Archive collection.

Apologies for any odd posting; for some reason Blogger has been showing most of my post on Young Jesse James and a bit of this post under the When Ladies Meet title. I had to delete the post and repost it before I noticed that Blogger has stopped notifying me of any HTML errors.

No comments: