I apologize for the posting schedule last week that was a bit screwed up. As I've posted on a bunch of occasions, ever since moving house and getting high-speed internet that allowed me to do streaming stuff back in 2023, I've been getting ahead in terms of scheduling posts. Last week saw Marie Windsor's day in Summer Under the Stars, and I put up a post on one of her movies, Mail Order Bride, that was airing that day. However, as I wrote more posts, I started scheduling them after the post on Mail Order Bride, not realizing that I had a couple of days where I had no posts scheduled. I think as of right now I'm good for about the next three weeks, unless I come across something that I haven't noticed is airing and is on my DVR, in which case I might wind up juggling posts around.
The TCM September schedule is out in full, and I've already found several movies in the second half of September that are on my DVR. I think that's enough where I shouldn't be juggling stuff around. On the other hand, someone famous could die -- I actually have a couple of posts written up on movies related to some seriously old people whose death notices I haven't come across yet and have been saving them in draft for that morbid occasion. To be fair, legitimate news outlets have obituaries for famous people ready to go just in case.
Speaking of that Shelley Fabares died over the weekend at the age of 82. She was in multiple films with Elvis Presley, although she's better known for her TV work. I actually went to my YouTube TV cloud DVR because I thought I had Girl Happy on it. I haven't posted about Girl Happy, and as it turns out the Elvis movie sitting on my DVR is Girls! Girls! Girls! which was the subject of a post 2½ years ago. Oops.
The Paramount/WB saga is still going on; for some reason I thought the merger/buyout had been called off. Or maybe it was another of the proposed buyers backing out. The merger ideas have been going on long enough and there have been enough proposals that it's easy to mix them up. And it's not as if I'm paying particularly close attention to it. But the news now is that A bunch of state Attorneys-General want their pound of flesh and are grandstanding about it. I'd think the barriers to entry are lower than they've ever been, but then you have to remember that politicians find it easier to control a couple of large market players than a system with a whole bunch of small players. The big players also have less of a problem with regulation than you might think since they can handle the regulation for the most part while it's that barrier to entry for newcomers. So I'll sit back and largely not pay close attention to what's going on until it has a more direct impact on me.
And in more FXM programming notes, today's Retro block concludes with Alien at 1:00 PM, which in itself is not terribly interesting because it's been in the Retro lineup before and I blogged about it almost five years back. However, Alien is followed by the commercial half of the lineup which includes the rest of the movies in the Alien series, starting with Aliens at 3:00 PM and going through to Alien vs. Predator: Requiem at midnight. Or at least, that's the last one they're showing and it's nearly 20 years old; I can't recall whehter there have been any since as I don't go to the movie theater very often. The one thing I do find curious is that I can't recall Aliens being in the Retro block. It was released in 1986, and the Retro block has certainly had stuff more recent than that show up. It's also 40 years old, which is getting to be plenty old enough. For me, I think the first movie less than 40 years old I posted about was Yours, Mine, and Ours, subject of a February 2008 post, which would have made it about two months shy of 40. If not that, than the spelling bee documentary Spellbound. And consider that when TCM was launched, 40 years old would only have been 1954. On the Waterfront would have been less than 40 years old as it was released in July 1954.
No comments:
Post a Comment