Saturday, August 14, 2010

Gene Tierney, part 2

I've recommended quite a few of Gene Tierney's movies in the past, and now that it's Gene Tierney's day in TCM's Summer Under the Stars, it's unsurprising that quite a few of those movies are showing up on TCM today. The highlight might well be Leave Her to Heaven, which is the TCM Essential this week, airing at 8:00 PM ET tonight. As I understand it, Leave Her to Heaven underwent restoration, with the restored print being shown at the TCM Film Festival back in the spring. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the print I've seen on the Fox Movie Channel in the past, but then, I haven't been watching on a super-sized HD television or a movie theater screen.

I've recommended the movie immediately preceeding Leave Her to Heaven as well: the sparkling comedy The Mating Season, airing at 6:15 PM. It's really Thelma Ritter's movie, even if Tierney is billed above her. I've also briefly mentioned the movie airing after Leave Her to Heaven: Dragonwyck, which airs at 10:00 PM. To be honest, though, it's not nearly as good as the previous two.

No comments: