Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Another month, another Guest Programmer

I don't have too much to post about today, thanks to a nasty surprise. I woke up around 3:45 AM to find that the display on my alarm clock/radio had gone blank. The obvious reason for this is that the power had gone out in the wonderful ice storm that hit this portion of the Catskills. Having said that, since TCM was only showing more Hal Roach shorts all day today, I don't know that I was planning much other than mentioning this month's Guest Programmer, who comes on tonight, anyway. That Guest Programmer is Ben McKenzie. If you haven't heard of him, you're not alone. He's apparently one of the stars of tht crime drama Southland, which appears on TNT (I think; it wouldn't surprise me that TCM is taking an opportunity to do some cross-promotion). As usual, the Guest Programmer selects four movies, and sits down to discuss them with Robert Osborne. McKenzie's four selections are:

Badlands, a dramatization of the Starkweather killing spree of 1959, at 8:00 PM ET;
Richard Harris as a rugby player in This Sporting Life at 10:00 PM;
The Marx Brothers setting off a war in Duck Soup, at 12:30 AM Thursday; and
Alec Guinness in Bridge on the River Kwai at 2:00 AM.

No comments: