Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gore Vidal, 1925-2012

Gore Vidal, a novelist and critic who also wrote several screenplays, died yesterday evening at the age of 86. I knew that Vidal had written the screenplay for the movie version of his play The Best Man, but he ald did the screenplay for The Catered Affair and Suddenly Last Summer, along wiht I Accuse!, a late 1950s version of the Alfred Dreyfus story which puts more emphasis on Dreyfus than does The Life of Émile Zola. Vidal also wrote the novel Myra Breckinridge, which was turned into one of the bigger movie messes.

Vidal appeared as a Guest Programmer, I think back during the Month of Guest Programmers in November 2007. One of his selections was That Hamilton Woman, which was my first exposure that movie which tells the story of Horatio Nelson and his lover Lady Hamilton. For some reason I thought I had done a full-length post on it, but apparently not.

No comments: