Friday, October 17, 2014

Shorts update for October 17, 2014

I don't think I've ever mentioned Cradle of a Nation before. This is a Traveltalks short, looking at some of the restored sites in Virginia that were important parts of the state's colonial history. It's airing at approximately 4:15 AM tomorrow morning, or overnight tonight depending upon your point of view or time zone. Or, to put it another way, it follows The Macomber Affair (2:45 AM, 89 min plus I presume an intro and outro from Alex Trebek). For some reason when I saw this on the schedule, I didn't immediately think it was a Traveltalks short, but something from Warner Bros. I recall seeing ome time back on TCM, a black-and-white short trying to be a Traveltalks short but falling short. The more I think about it, the more that black-and-white short I could swear I've seen might have looked at places that were a part of antebellum history in one of the southern states. Mississippi?

And then there's Grand Prix: Challenge of hte Champions, which you can catch tomorrow morning at 7:45 AM. This one is a featurette made for the 1966 James Garner movie Grand Prix. That movie deals with the Grand Prix of Monaco, so we get a lot of shots of Monaco itself, of the stars, and perhaps most interestingly the racecar drivers of the day actually competing in the Grand Prix of Monaco.. This is one of those shorts that I've come across once or twice in the past while I was just flipping through the channels or sitting down before the next movie, but don't think I've actually watched all the way through.

No comments: