Saturday, February 6, 2016

All This and World War II

When I mentioned the death of Earth, Wind, and Fire frontman Maurice White the other day, I of course pointed to his band's work in the movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. That's a reworking of a whole bunch of Beatles songs. But it's not the strangest use of Beatles music on screen. And no, I'm not counting Yellow Submarine. In 1976, somebody had the bright idea to make the movie All This and World War II.

Made at Fox, the movie combines clips from old Fox movies about World War II with documentary footage from the war. All of this is performed to a soundtrack of Beatles songs, or should I say covers of Beatles songs. The result? Judge for yourself. The movie has, as far as I know, never been released to home video, probably because of all the rights issues with the music. But a very poor copy has made it to Youtube:



Note that the Youtube video is only 82 minutes long, while IMDb claims the movie had a runtime of 88 minutes, so I don't know what if anything was cut out.

No comments: