Monday, February 27, 2017

Bill Paxton, 1955-2017

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the deat of Bill Paxton, who died on Saturday of complications from surgery aged 61. Paxton had a long career as a supporting actor, in a bunch of films that are blind spots, and a few I really have no desire to see again. Why did I sit through the '97 Titanic, for example?

Paxton's career was also quite varied. Among the early movies are The Terminator and Weird Science, before showing up in the 90s in the westerns Tombstone (as Morgan Earp) and Frank and Jesse (as Frank James). And then there are the prestige films, like Titanic (much as I hate it) and Apollo 13. And big-budget stuff like Twister. Apparently, storm chasers honored Paxton yesterday.

Maybe one of these years I'll get around to seeing a bunch of his movies.

No comments: