Sunday, May 14, 2017

Briefs for May 14-15, 2017

I've got a full-length review coming up later in the day, but I was looking through the TCM and FXM Retro schedules and there are a few things I wanted to mention.

First, in my last briefs posts earlier in the week, I mentioned one of those Canadian "Spotlight" posts. The one that first brought the series to my attention when I saw it on TCM some years back, Spotlight No. 3, is going to be on TCM this morning after the Noir Alley selection, so around 11:45 AM. This one includes the value of the elements in the human body (not much), as well as a hill in New Brunswick that has strange magnetic qualities.

This being Mothers' Day, TCM brings out a lot of the usual suspsects for films about mothers. Mildred Pierce, for example, gets its umpteenth Mothers' Day showing at 2:00 PM, and there's I Remember Mama at 8:00 PM. Pocketful of Miracles, the remake of Lady for a Day, shows up at 10:30 PM, and that one doesn't show up quite as often. Frankly I wouldn't mind seeing a programmer daring enough to show things like Throw Momma From the Train, Our Mother's House, or Autumn Sonata on Mothers' Day.

This week's Silent Sunday Nights is a series of five one-reelers, so as always I have no idea what order they're going to show up in. They run from 1:00 to 2:00 AM, and are all Mack Sennett-directed shorts that are over 100 years old.

Finally, FXM Retro has brought Gospel Road out of the vault, showing it twice tomorrow, at 3:00 AM and 1:35 PM. They probably should have brought it out last month for easter. It's not quite my thing, but people who like the music of Johnny Cash will probably find it interesting.

No comments: