Tuesday, March 27, 2018

O common Ben Johnson!

TCM is putting a spotlight tonight on actor Ben Johnson, who was in quite a bunch of westerns in the 1950s. It's not from the 50s, but among the movies in tonight's lineup is Chisum, at 11:45 PM.

One that I don't think I had even heard of before is a 1973 version of Dillinger, which will be coming on at 3:30 AM. I've known about the Lawrence Tierney version of Dillinger from the 1940s, the last few times it's been on TCM something has come up. Once there was a thunderstorm that screwed up satellite reception, and then the other time there was a snowstorm that knocked out power long enough for me not to be able to set up the DVR. The 70s version is on a pricey DVD while the Tierney version is out of print. Both of them seem to be on Amazon streaming, but I don't have the bandwidth to do that.

There's some John Ford westerns too, although I have to admit those have never been my favorites.

No comments: