Saturday, June 29, 2019

Briefs for June 29-30, 2019

Tonight's TCM Essential is Daughters of the Dust, at 8:00 PM. I recorded this one last September during the "Black Experience on Film" spotlight and when I blogged about it said that it's certainly worth a look. The Blu-ray and DVD aren't Criterion-level prices, but you may want to watch first before deciding whether to spring for it in your collection.

Overnight at 2:00 AM, TCM is running It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. The schedule lists it as 159 minutes in a 165-minute slot, which implies it's not going to be the roadshow version with the overture and exit music, and will be missing the extended scene with Phil Silvers (if memory serves -- I haven't watched the movie in a while) floating down the river in his car. That version got a Criterion release.

Over on FXM, they're running multiple Shirley Temple movies tomorrow. I already mentioned Stand Up and Cheer! last week; that one is on 7:55 AM. I recorded Curly Top some weeks ago but haven't gotten around to watching it; that one will be on immediately following at 9:05 AM. Third up is Poor Little Rich Girl which I mentioned a few months back, at 10:25 AM. Finally at 11:45 AM is The Blue Bird.

I perhaps should have mentioned earlier the passing of Édith Scob, who died on Wednesday at the age of 81. It's a name that I wouldn't have recognized, but thankfully Wikipedia's obituaries page usually mentions a key work or two, which in this case was Eyes Without a Face:

No comments: