Thursday, September 30, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #377: Non-English TV

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. We're at the last Thursday of the month again, which means that it's time for another TV-themed edition of the blogathon. Once again, the theme is foreign-language TV, which is something I always have to think about because I don't watch much episodic TV. Once again, I went for the competition show route:

Der Große Preis. Long-running (in both senses of the word) German quiz show that seemed to be no more about the quiz as about what musical acts they could put in between questions.

The Cube (Ukraine). Originally a British show, this one asks contestants to perform progressively more difficult feats inside a cube. I found a Ukrainian version for your viewing pleasure. It took a long time for this one to come to the US because we had to suffer through the dreadful Minute to Win It first.

Exathlon. Originally a Brazilian show, this one pits two teams of the 2020 standard of Conventionally Beautiful and Fit People: one a group of Z-listers and the other being otherwise regular people who would like to become Z-listers themselves in a series of obstacle course-style challenges that eventually result in progressive elimination.

2 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

You've got me here. I'm not familiar with any of these.

Birgit said...

I don't know any of these but I love that you went with the game show style. I watched each one but did skip through parts. The German one is one I like because it has very tough questions and is about culture, history, art and architecture. If that was in North America, they would have to dummy it way, way, way, way, way down since culture in North America is about Football, Baseball, Hockey and rap music or other basic crap plus they would have questions on the Kardashiasses. The cube one looks interesting as does the last one but I am unsure which one is the "fit" one and which is the "regular" guy one.