Monday, November 29, 2021

Briefs for November 29-30, 2021

I probably should have posted this briefs post earlier today, as I see that All That Jazz is on TCM this evening at 10:15 PM as part of the TCM spotlight on musical numbers. I had actually recorded it a previous time that it was on TCM, but thunderstorms rolled through and screwed up the recording, this being DirecTV, so I missed probably a good 20-30 minutes of the movie. I'm hoping to get it all tonight.

Over on FXM, I blogged today about The Horror of It All, but I'd like to mention the two movies that conclude the FXM Retro portion of the day. They're an Audrey Hepburn double feature. I know that I've blogged about How to Steal a Million (11:00 AM) before. Surprisingly, however, I don't seem to have done a post on Two for the Road (1:05 PM) before. The two movies will be back to back on Wednesday as well.

And now for the obituaries. Broadway composer Stephen Sondheim died over the Thanksgiving weekend at the age of 91. He wrote the lyrics for West Side Story along with writing a whole bunch of Broadway musicals that won him Tony awards. He did win on Oscar, for writing the song "Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)" from Dick Tracy sung by Madonna in the movie. What I didn't know until seeing the obituaries is that he also did the screenplay for The Last of Sheila together with Anthony Perkins.

David Gulpilil died today at the age of 68. You would probably remember this Australian actor best as the young Aboriginal man going through his rite of passage in Walkabout who comes upon Jenny Agutter and her kid brother.

Also having died today is Arlene Dahl. Her film career goes back to the 1940s in movies such as the French Revolution noir The Black Book (aka Reign of Terror) and includes other films like Journey to the Center of the Earth and Woman's World, as well as an appearance at the salute to Robert Osborne on the 20th anniversary of TCM. Dahl was 96.

No comments: