Friday, September 9, 2022

Briefs for Sept. 9-10, 2022

Among the spotlights on TCM this month is one on how Hollywood movies portray American ideals to the rest of the world. Tonight and for the following three Fridays in prime time, Ben Mankiewicz is going to be sitting down with nine immigrants who will each be presenting one movie. Some of the movies are things you might expect if you're looking to discuss the presentation of America on film, such as To Kill a Mockingbird or a World War II movie like To Hell and Back. But one of the people selected Holiday Affair, which I wouldn't have thought of.

The other thing I wonder about when I see a programming thing like this is how TCM selected this particular set of immigrants. It was only a month or so ago that somebody on the TCM boards started a thread on the topic of this programming series, and you'd think TCM would have had to coordinate actually selecting people to do the interviews and pick a movie well before that. It's much the same as it being a mystery to me of how people get selected for focus groups. I've never been asked to be part of a focus group, and I presume that if anybody were to ask me, I'd get weeded out in the original questions because I tend not to have the sort of opinions that the people bringing together focus groups seem to want.

I don't think there's been that much new to FXM, or at least new in the sense that it was recently pulled from the vaults after a long absence. Diplomatic Courier is on tomorrow at 7:30 AM, although it seems like it's been showing up for several weeks now. Also, a search of the blog shows that I mentioned another upcoming airing on FXM back in August 2021.

No big Hollywood names have died recently, and if anybody does, it's going to get overshadowed by the recently deceased UK head of state. One of the international broadcasters I listen to mentioned Helen Mirren playing Elizabeth II, but I don't think I heard anybody mention this:

No comments: