Saturday, July 1, 2023

Alan Arkin, 1934-2023

Alan Arkin in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968)

Oscar-winning actor Alan Arkin, who had a diverse career spanning some 60 years, has died at the age of 89. I think it's interesting that the nominations are for some very different films. First was the farce The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!, followed a few years later by The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, a Southern drama from which the above photo was taken. I have to admit that it's not my favorite film, but that's because I'm not the biggest fan of the genre as a whole, as you'll probably know if you've read my posts on Tennessee Williams adaptations or a movie like Wise Blood.

In any case, it would be another 40 years almost Arkin would get his third nomination, and the one that won him the Oscar, in Little Miss Sunshine. Finally there was Argo which I definitely enjoyed although I don't know if I would think of it as a Best Picture Oscar winner.

The People article I linked mentioned him as having been in Glengarry Glen Ross as well. I have to admit I don't remember him, but then the movie was filled with great actors and it's hard to beat Jack Lemmon.

As for TCM, instead of a "Star of the Month" for July they're doing a spotlight on stars of the 1970s, which includes one of Arkin's films, Freebie and the Bean, at the end of the month. I don't know if they'll have a longer programming tribute for him considering all of their current troubles.

No comments: