Saturday, December 9, 2023

And wouldn't you know it....

Last Sunday, I wrote a post about some lesser-known people who had died. And suddenly, in the following week, a couple of more famous people died:

Italian actress Marisa Pavan, who earned an Oscar nomination for The Rose Tattoo, died on Thursday at the age of 91. I couldn't find a good trailer for that movie or a clip from it to use here. Instead, I found a full episode of What's My Line from 1966 on which she was the mystery guest, along with French actor Jean-Pierre Aumont. That's because the two were married. Pavan was also the twin sister of actress Pier Angeli.

Norman Lear, who is better known for all the TV shows he produced such as All in the Family and its spinoffs, died on Wednesday at the age of 101. Lear worked for many years in collaboration with Bud Yorkin, and together they produced a handful of movies before becoming big on TV. These include Divorce, American Style, and this is what I think is a vintage trailer and not a reconstruction:

A movie Bud Yorkin made after splitting up from Norman Lear is The Thief Who Came to Dinner, which I mention because that movie's lead actor, Ryan O'Neal, died on Friday aged 82. I won't include a clip from that, largely because my search history has an easily accessible clip from another of his movies, What's Up Doc?, in which O'Neal is able to poke a bit of fun at himself:

I haven't been watching much live TCM lately, but I think Dec. 9 is a bit early for the annual TCM Remembers piece to show up. (It's not on TCM's YouTube page yet.) So I'd assume all three will show up when the piece finally starts airing.

No comments: