Friday, August 15, 2008

More proof that I've seen too many movies

I've commented before on how one of the things I notice in movies is the character actors, and that sometimes I spot them even if I've missed the opening credits. That might be a sign that I've spent too much time watching classic movies, but I don't think it's the only sign.

On Tuesday evening, I sat down to TCM to watch the Kim Novak/Fred MacMurray noir Pushover, since the TCM description made it sound like an interesting movie. It was enjoyable, if not great. However, about 30 minutes into the movie, I suddenly realized -- I'd seen the movie before! Even more irritating was the fact that if I had realized I'd already seen it, I would have blogged about it -- it's not available on DVD for me to recommend to you now.

Worse, this isn't the first time I've had that feeling of déjà vu. Several months ago, I saw that TCM was airing Evelyn Prentice, which I wanted to see because the idea of William Powell and Myrna Loy in a drama sounded interesting. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I had already seen that one, too! (If you haven't seen it yet, you don't have to wait for it to show up on TCM. It's already out on DVD.)

And then there's Fred Astaire day on Saturday. I'm not recommending any of the movies in prime time because frankly, I can't keep the plots straight. Which scenes are from The Gay Divorcee, and which are from Top Hat?

No comments: