Saturday, July 27, 2013

1001 overlooked movies?

I was clicking through some other blogs recently, and came across a project called 1001 Overlooked Movies. It's apparently based on a series of books popular on the other side of the Atlantic called 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. The difference, though, is that the blogger running the "Overlooked" series is looking for movies that didn't make the cut of the 1001 "essential" movies you have to see.

An interesting idea, to be sure. I don't know if I'll ever get around to taking part in it, though. The first problem is coming up with a worthy movie that isn't on the "essential" list. My first though was to some foreign films. The Firemen's Ball? Nope, that's on the list. The Cranes Are Flying? Definitely an essential movie. I thought of some American movies, and those were on the list too.

The second issue is coming up with an overlooked movie that I've seen recently enough to write a cogent post about. There are some good movies that I think would belong on such a list, but when it comes to those movies, it might hvae been a couple of years since the last viewing, and I don't have a DVD copy of them around. (One of the good things about the Fox Movie Channel's running lots and lots of repeats within a short amount of time is that I can watch an early showing, and only a week or two later blog about the movie the next time it shows up.)

And then there's the issue of writing for somebody else's blog. Even though my posts here are normally a "whatever strikes my fancy" style and I don't think six weeks head in what I'm going to blog about, I worry about the spelling and grammar, even if not so much about the composition. Heck, I probably put too much time into trying to make blog and forum comments look well-written. If I were writing for another blog, I'd go nuts editing my posts to make the writing look high-quality before I submitted anything. And as you can probably tell from my blog posts, I'm not all that great a writer.

No comments: