Tuesday, October 2, 2018

TCM Star of the Month October 2018: Rita Hayworth

Now that we're in the first full week of a new month, it's time for a new Star of the Month on TCM, and this month it's the glamorous Rita Hayworth. Her movies are going to be running on the first four Tuesdays in October. (The last Tuesday, October 30, is given over to ghost movies for the start of a Halloween marathon.)

This first Tuesday in October includes another of those 1940s Fox musicals, My Gal Sal, at 11:30 PM. I have to admit that although I'm not the biggest fan of musicals for the most part, the 1940s Fox musicals have been growing on me, as they all seem like comfort foor for a population dealing with World War II and its aftermath. Granted, by the 1950s, they seem a bit old-fashioned, and I suppose you could argue even a lot of the ones from the 40s are considering the subject material that has them set some decades before the movie was released.

The night begins at 8:00 PM with You'll Never Get Rich with Hayworth opposite Fred Astaire, one of the movies I have to admit I haven't seen before. (I don't know that I've got enough room on the DVR to tape it, sadly.) And then, early tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM, there's another airing of Strawberry Blonde, which I mentioned a few months back in one of the Thursday Movie Picks entries.

1 comment:

Birgit said...

I love musicals and I love Rita Hayworth because my heart goes out to her. I think she is a pretty good actress and a superb dancer. Actually Fred Astaire apparently said she was his favourite dance partner.