Saturday, February 9, 2019

Heads-up for things I talked about in previous TMPs

We're well into another year of 31 Days of Oscar, and when I saw the TCM schedule for the next day or so, a couple of things stood out to me. First was that one of the double-features tonight is a look at the Best Original Song of 1980. Last year, one of the Thursday Movie Picks was of movies that should have won the Oscar, and I did a fair bit on the 1980 Best Song, since it was a very strong field that year. The title song to Fame won, memorably sung by Irene Cara, although she didn't get an Oscar as that only goes to the songwriters. (She would win one three years later for co-writing the theme song to Flashdance.) Anyhow, two of the losing movies were 9 to 5, which is a TCM premiere, on at midnight, followed by Honeysuckle Rose at 2:00 AM, which introduced the classic song "On the Road Again".

Tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM, you can watch the wonderful late-era Laurence Olivier movie A Little Romance, which I also used last February in a Thursday Movie Picks theme on romance. I thought that theme was more recent, but it was just about a year ago. At any rate, the movie is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it before -- and I know from my TMP lists that a lot of people haven't seen the movies I recommend. This is your chance.

No comments: