Thursday, July 25, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #263: Crime (TV Edition)



This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This is the last Thursday of the month, so it means that we get another TV show edition. This month, the theme is "crime", which I assume is supposed to be different than your standard issue police show, which also deals with crime. That also makes it a bit more difficult to come up with three interesting TV shows, other than making the argument that local TV news here in the US is just the police blotter, with them running the mug shots of everybody who's been arrested but not convicted, in an attempt to embarrass the accused. The process is the punishment. Ah, but that rant is not the point of the blogathon either. So without further ado, here are my three selections:



Partners in Crime (1984). Loni Anderson and Lynda Carter play a pair of ex-wives of a detective who got murdered, so they team up to take over the detective agency.



The Fugitive (1963-1967). David Janssen plays Dr. Richard Kimble, a man wrongly convicted of killing his wife. He claims he saw a one-armed man leaving the house just before he walked in to find his wife's dead body. On his way to the prison death house, an accident affords him the chance to escape and search for the one-armed man himself.



Murder She Wrote (1984-1995). Angela Lansbury plays Jessica Fletcher, a serial-killer turned mystery writer who uses her detective skills as a writer to get other people to confess to all the murders she committed. Everywhere she goes, somebody else gets bumped off, and her home town of Cabot Cove, ME, is the murder capital of America since there seems to be another murder there every week. OK, Jessica didn't actually kill anybody, although that would have been a great twist to end the series. And the idea has become somewhat of a meme:

4 comments:

Dell said...

Totally forgot about Partners in Crime. What a blast from the past, that is. Since I kinda had a thing for both stars I watched that from time to time. Murder She Wrote was my grandmother's favorite show. I never saw The Fugitive series but always heard great things about it.

Ted S. (Just a Cineast) said...

I never actually saw The Fugitive either; I just liked the idea of using a TV show with the premise of somebody wrongly accused.

I had also forgotten how short-lived a series Partners in Crime was.

And Murder She Wrote really does seem to be popular among the senior set, doesn't it?

ThePunkTheory said...

Oh, I remember watching Murder She Wrote when I was a kid. I believe it's still on re-run on German television 20 years after that.

Birgit said...

OMG I totally forgot about Part era in Crime! It was actually a fun show wi5 these 2 broads. The Fugitive was a huge hit that both my parents watched and, like millions, or maybe back then, a million, refused to answer the phone and told people not to come over when the finale came on tv. There was a remake with Timothy Daly but it lasted, I think, just one season if that. Murder She Wrote was one of my mom’s favourites but she 5old me she would have left Cabot Cove long ago:).