Thursday, January 23, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #289: Unforgettable Movie Scores






This being Thursday, it's normally time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week's theme is an easy one, "Unforgettable Movie Scores". There are a whole lot of movies with scores you'll remember. Some are the traditional instrumental scores; some are musicals; and others (roughly starting with The Graduate depending on how you want to classify the rock-and-roll movies of a decade earlier) use a bunch of popular songs although normally we refer to these as soundtracks and not scores. At any rate, I went with three traditional instrumental scores with memorable main themes:



Dr. No (1962). The first of the Saltzman/Broccoli James Bond movies, this one features a score by John Barry with the memorable James Bond theme over the opening credits. From Russia With Love had a title song with lyrics sung over the end of the movie, while Goldfinger and its memorable Shirley Bassey title song was the first with lyrics over the opening credits.



Lawrence of Arabia (1962). I don't care much for the movie itself, which I think is way too long, but the theme song, by composer Maurice Jarre, is certainly memorable.



Jaws (1975). I think I might have used this one a long time back in a week of summer blockbuster movies, but the score, by John Williams, is another memorable one. In fact, I avoided using it two weeks ago in the Steven Spielberg week because I knew the movie score week was coming up.

4 comments:

Sonia Cerca said...

Can't go wrong with these!

Brittani Burnham said...

Can't argue with any of these! Especially Jaws. What a classic.

Getter said...

I think I might be the only person left who hasn't seen Jaws yet BUT I would recognise that track from everywhere!

Birgit said...

I was so close in choosing Florence of Arabia. Great music and I love that you chose Dr. No. Jaws is a classic and can't go wrong with that pick