Thursday, July 2, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #312: The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath






This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. On the first Thursday of the month this year, the theme has been the Seven Deadly Sins. We're in July, the seventh month, so it's time for the last of the sins, which is wrath. I suppose The Grapes of Wrath or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan would be obvious choices, so I decided to go in a different direction:

Kiss of Death (1947). Richard Widmark plays Tommy Udo, who's looking for a missing criminal, asking the guy's wheelchair-bound mother (Mildred Dunnock) for information. When she can't provide him what he's looking for, he has quite a bit of wrath toward her:



Red Light (1949). George Raft plays a businessman who has a kid brother who is a Catholic priest and a war hero. After Raft sends Perry Mason (er, Raymond Burr) to prison for embezzlement, Perry concots a revenge plot that has fellow convict Col. Sherman Potter (er, Harry Morgan) kill the kid brother when he gts out of prison; Burr will have the perfect alibi in that he's still in prison! Raft gets rather wrathful after his kid brother is killed:



Mommie Dearest (1981). Joan Crawford (played by Faye Dunaway) has a fair amount of wrath toward adopted daughter Christina when Christina makes the mistake of haning up a dress on a wire hanger:



(Apologies if I used any of these before, but the Blogger search seems to be acting up.)

2 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

Mommie Dearest is wild. It's garbage but I love how over the top it is. I will never forgive the Razzies for "nominating" Mara Hobel. She did not deserve that. Not that they have credibility in the first place, but that always bothered me way more than it probably should.

Birgit said...

God I have to see Kiss of Death..that has been on my radar for years! I do 't know the George Raft film because i find Raft an idiot but I love how Perry mason and Col. Potter teamed up:) I love Mommie Dearest in all its schlocky glory.