Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Upcoming films, Feb. 24-26, 2021

More normal service should resume tomorrow, but for now, I've gotten through blogging about all the things I've watched in the last week or so, so instead I decided to take a look at what's coming up that I might have mentioned recently:

TCM has been spending February with a spotlight on memorable perforamces by black actors, this being Black History Month. Every Wednesday in prime time it's been a bunch of different movies. This final Wednesday includes the recently deceased Johnny Nash in Take a Giant Step at 8:00 PM, followed by A Soldier's Story, which might be the best of all the movies shown in the spotlight. Third up is the 1976 version of Sparkle, at midnight.

I mention Sparkle because it got a remake in 2012 thanks to Whitney Houston, who apparently liked the original and got the rights to do a remake, although it took the rest of her life to get that remake made. That remake is also on this week, coming up at 6:01 PM Friday (Feb. 26) on StarzEncore In Black.

Tonight at 8:00 PM on The Movie Channel, there's Fast Times at Ridgemont High, for people of a certain age; I was a few years too young for it to be a movie of my generation. But it's still definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.

I think it's been quite a few years since I mentioned the Fox quickie western One Foot In Hell, dating to the days when Cleopatra was costing the studio a ton of money and they needed other stuff to put in theaters quickly. It's actually not a bad little western. It gets two airings, at 6:34 AM tomorrow and then 2:41 AM Friday, on StarzEncore Westerns.

Just after the first showing of One Foot in Hell, you can switch back to TCM and catch Carnival of Souls, which might be more appropriate for October, but is still worth seeing any time of the year. That starts at 7:45 AM Thursday. Less interesting, to me at least, is Yolanda and the Thief, at 11:45 AM Thursday.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I still haven't seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High yet... I continually get it mixed up with Dazed and Confused. I may have to add it to my Blind Spot series.