Monday, September 19, 2022

Briefs for September 19-20, 2022

One of the news podcasts I listen to had a story this morning in which Woody Allen was alleged to have announced that his next movie, which would be he 50th, would be his last. Not so fast, Allen clarified. In any case, Allen is 86 and if he wants to retire and enjoy life, he certainly deserves it. Then again, for creative types, continuing to be creative is what brings enjoyment in life. If I could continue to do what I love when and only when I wanted to, and get paid for it, why not keep doing it into my 80s, or like Clint Eastwood, into his 90s?.

I bring this up in part because tonight's lineup on TCM is a night of movies about radio, a theme I could swear TCM has done before, although once a channel is pushing 30 years on the air there aren't too many vintage themes that haven't been done. Starting the night is one of Woody Allen's films that I haven't seen before, Radio Days, so I'll have to see that I've got enough room on my DVR to record it. Concluding the night is The Next Voice You Hear... at 4:15 AM; this is one of those little pictures MGM made in the early 1950s and is definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it before.

The daytime schedule on TCM tomorrow is devoted to Sophia Loren, beginning at 6:00 AM with A Special Day, which I blogged about here a few months back. It's a small, mostly two character story with her and Marcelo Mastroianni, but one that lets both of them display their acting chops. I'll have to see if I have more room left on my DVR after recording Radio Days to record one or two of the Loren movies I haven't seen before.

And then tomorrow evening we get a night of Joan Collins, including a new (or maybe newish) documentary on her. 10:00 PM tomorrow brings The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing, which I'm really happy to see on the TCM schedule since it doesn't show up anywhere very often. It's a Fox film, and I don't recall the last time it was in the FXM rotation.

As for deaths, there's Henry Silva, whom I mentioned just a few weeks back when I had done a post on Green Mansions. I had actually noticed at the time I watched it that Silva was still alive. Silva was 95 when he died last Wednesday. Also dying last Wednesday was Greek actress Irene Papas, who graced the screen in such memorable movies as Zorba the Greek. I probably should have mentioned her obituary a bit earlier, since TCM ran Anne of the Thousand Days last weekend and Papas has a part as Catherine of Aragon. Papas was 93.

No comments: