Thursday, March 9, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks, March 9, 2023: Books to pair with movies

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week the theme is an interesting one: picking books to pair with the movies. This doesn't have to be books adapted into movies, and certainly not the book version of a movie. In the end, I decided to go with my typically weird sense of humor and pick three, well, interesting combinations:

Book: 2021 International Building Code Illustrated Handbook. Movie: Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948). Anybody who's built their dream house, or renovated, will appreciate Blandings. The movie may be 75 years old, but it's still fresh and funny because it's true, as I learned from when my parents renovated the old place and again now that we're moving. My dad was a building inspector but retired at least a dozen years ago now, so I'm not certain what the new code says about lintels:

Book: A People's History of the United States (Howard Zinn, 1980). Movie: Wilson (1944). Two bigger steaming piles of shit from a history standpoint you'll have a hard time finding. Despite what a loathsome, odious creature Woodrow Wilson was, at least Alexander Knox brings life to the movie and should have walked away with the Oscar if the Academy hadn't been on some sort of drugs thinking that Going My Way was good in any sort of way.

Book: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Julia Child, 1961). Movie: Soylent Green (1973). Yes, I know there was the movie Julie and Julia. But I think this is a more interesting pairing.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Interesting about Going My Way. I watched it recently, and found it to still hold up. Today, almost 80 years later, churches are still in trouble and losing congregants especially those with old-fashioned leadership like in the movie. New blood and new ideas shouldn't be feared. I think that's one of the messages of that movie and is still relevant today.