Wednesday, October 4, 2023

TCM Star of the Month, October 2023: Charlton Heston

Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur (Oct. 4, 8:00 PM)

Now that we're into a new month, it's time for a new Star of the Month on TCM. This time out, it's Charlton Heston, who was honored quite a few years back. I'm not certain how far back; a search of the blog didn't reveal any previous Star of the Month post like this one for Heston, but then, in the earlier days of the blog I didn't do posts like this for every Star of the Month. In any case, Heston's movies will be airing every Wednesday in prime time on TCM, starting tonight with Heston's Oscar-winning performance in Ben-Hur.

I'll admit that I don't have that many pictures of Heston on my hard drive. One of the obvious ones was of him playing Moses in The Ten Commandments, which I used when Heston died back in 2008. This even though it was always obvious that TCM wouldn't be running The Ten Commandments considering how ABC runs it pretty much every year in the run-up to Easter. I haven't looked in great detail at the line-up of Heston movies, other than to search for ones that are currently in my YouTube TV library in order to watch them and do posts on them. That means in a week's time, you'll be getting a post on The Hawaiians (1:30 AM, Oct. 12, or late in the evening of Oct. 11 in the Pacific time zone).

I figured (correctly) that among the movies that would show is Soylent Green, since it's fairly famous and it's also a late MGM movie; as a result, I looked for a photo of Heston in it, and found a good one of him and Edward G. Robinson, this being Robinson's final role. Soylent Green kicks off the final night of Heston programming, at 8:00 PM on Oct. 25.

No comments: