Monday, February 12, 2024

Briefs for February 12-13, 2023

I blogged yesterday about Knights of the Round Table airing later this afternoon, but there are a couple of movies worth mentioning, although you may not see them by the time you find this post. First up is Pride and Prejudice at noon, which is still on my DVR and which I blogged about several months ago. And tomorrow at 9:30 AM is the great foreign comedy M. Hulot's Vacation, which I think would be a great way to get people interested in foreign films. North by Northwest, which I don't think I've done a full-length blog post on largely because it's one of those very well known movies, shows up at 3:45 PM Tuesday.

Over on FXM, it doesn't look like there's anything that I haven't blogged about before. But I think it's been a while since I mentioned From the Terrace (3:30 AM Feb. 13), which is worth a mention for Myrna Loy's drunk before it turns into a Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward melodrama. It's a moderately fun one, however. From the Terrace is followed at 6:00 AM by Cavalcade which won Oscar's Best Picture of 2023 although it's really not the best picture of the year. Still worth a watch.

Not all that much in the way of birthdays today, although it is the actual birthday of Abraham Lincoln, who was a subject of a whole bunch of movies since the Civil War is a pretty important part of US history. The holiday is next Monday, and as I understand it is still officially called Washington's Birthday while everybody calls it Presidents' Day.

As for deaths, I probably should have mentioned Carl Weathers at the beginning of the month, since Rocky is such a well known movie along with its sequels. And it's not as though that's all he did.

Finally, I came across an article about Warner Bros.' possible shelving of Coyote Vs. Acme. The idea sounds like a fun one, although I have no idea what the execution is like. As for why it's getting shelved, I have no understanding of the finances of the movie studios, or media conglomerates in general. So why a movie like this would get canned is not something I get. One only wonders whether there's some personal conflict driving it.

No comments: