Sunday, May 19, 2024

Briefs for May 19, 2024

I probably should have done a full-length post on the passing of producer Roger Corman when the news of his death came across, but I never got around to doing it. Corman did a reasonable amount of direction, and with American International a ton of producer credits. I presume that TCM is going to have a programming salute to him at some point, but I haven't seen anything. That's in part because there's increasingly less information on the TCM site, and I don't do much following of anybody on the various social media sites. If I had to guess it's likeliest that a tribute will come in July, since much of the June schedule has been released.

Actor Dabney Coleman died this past week at the age of 92, although he's not the calibre of star I'd expect to see get a standalone programming tribute. Coleman was memorable in his turn as the villain in 9 to 5, and if TCM could get the rights to it, that's the sort of movie I could see showing up in December when TCM has its one-night salute to those who died but weren't necessarily as big stars.

I've got quite a few films coming up that are on my DVR already and that I haven't blogged about before. In addition, I've got closing in on 20 movies that I've watched and have not yet published the blog posts about. So there's going to be behind-the-scenes rescheduling of blog posts. I hope that all of the posts I put up on movies set to air show up at the right time and get the dates right, and that I don't wind up with multiple feature reviews on one day followed by a day with none because I negligently didn't schedule a post for a certain day.

I don't know how long ago it was that TCM changed the intro for TCM Extras, but I'm still not used to fast-forwarding following the end of something on my DVR and not picking up that a short has been programmed because I'm still used to the "old" Extras intro. With that in mind, I see that the very old One Reel Wonders bumper is on YouTube. Sad that they got rid of it, but at least in that case I understand how the change from 4:3 programming to 16:9 as well as the change to HDTV necessitated a change in all the bumpers.

No comments: