Monday, October 31, 2011

Cleopatra: The Musical

I could go on singing the the asp bites me....I was looking through the blog's stats today, and discovered that somebody did a search on Caesar and Cleopatra musical. No, I didn't know when the Cleopatra story was ever made into a musical. An IMDb search reveals that Cleopatra has shown up as a character in dozens of movies, dating all the way back to the 1890s. Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra would probably be the most famous, followed perhaps by the Claudette Colbert version from the 1930s, or maybe the movie Caesar and Cleopatra, which I blogged about rather unfavorably last September. But I can't find much evidence that it's been turned into a movie musical. A quick Google search suggested the Steven Soderbergh was looking at doing a Cleopatra musical, but the stories are all three years old, list Hugh Jackman as having pulled out of the project, and Catherine Zeta-Jones starring. I think we all would have heard of that. On the other hand, Cleopatra has shown up in a number of operas, including a famous one by Samuel Barber based on Shakespeare's play Antony and Cleopatra, which has been made into a movie a couple of times.

As for other searches, somebody did a search for Greek barber, which would have to be a reference to Edward G. Robinson in Smart Money, which I briefly mentioned back in February 2008. On the other hand, I have no idea what the person who searched on Man breaks leg DVD was looking for.

No comments: