Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 27, 2014 briefs

I've briefly mentioned the Traveltalks short Looking at London, but it's coming up again on TCM today a little after 6:00 PM, or just after The Way We Were (4:00 PM, 118 min plus an intro/outro from Ben Mankiewicz). James FitzPatrick went back to Europe not long after the end of World War II, and one of his stopping points was London, where he filmed some of the famous sights, as well as some of the sites that didn't quite survive the war. It's the look at those bombed-out sites which really make this short worth watching even more than many of the other Traveltalks entries. Granted, I have a soft spot in my old-movie viewing heart for the Traveltalks shorts as compared to some of the other series, but this one is worthwhile even compared to many of the other entries.

I don't think I've ever seen Angora Love before. It's airing a little after 1:30 AM, or just after The Viking to round out Silent Sunday Nights. This is listed as the last silent short Laurel and Hardy made for Hal Roach, and deals with the duo winding up with a goat in their apartment, which as you can imagine causes all sorts of problems for them.

I can't believe it's been 20 months since I blogged about Guilty Hands. I would have thought it was last summer, not the summer of 2012, that I did a post on the movie. How time flies. Anyhow, it's showing up again tomorrow at 11:15 AM on TCM as part of a morning and afternoon of movies showing John Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, or both of them. I don't believe Ethel shows up at all. Guilty Hands, with Lionel Barrymore and Kay Francis, is worth one watch if you didn't see it the last time I mentioned it, but it's not particularly great.

No comments: