Thursday, August 21, 2014

More on those Lee Tracy movies

Yesterday I mentioned that several of the movies showing at the beginning of Lee Tracy's day in Summer Under the Stars weren't available on DVD. It's the later ones, that I've already seen, which you can get on DVD:

When I looked at the brief synopsis of Love Is a Racket, I thought that the plot looked really familiar, and that I must have seen it before. Unsurprisingly, I had, and I even blogged about it back in Jnauary of 2013. After a whlle, some of those pre-Codes start blending together, as do some of the later 1930s B movies. Still, Love Is a Racket, which is on at 5:15 PM today, is worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.

Dinner At Eight shows up tonight at 11:30 PM. Since this one is a prestige movie, it's much more memorable. Besides, it's got so many good actors in such a wonderful script.

Dinner At Eight is followed at 1:30 AM by Doctor X. I haven't quite done a full-length blog post on this film before, but the one-paragraph synopsis I did back in October 2009 accurately sums up the movie:

Here, Fay Wray plays the daughter of the seemingly-mad scientist (Lionel Atwill, who was the madman in Mystery of the Wax Museum) Dr. Xavier. There's a serial killer on the loose, killing pretty young things (like Wray) every full moon. Xavier brings all the potential killers to his creepy mansion and locks them in a room together, using Wray as a pawn in a plot to uncover the real killer.

Lee Tracy, who is today's nominee, plays -- what else -- a journalist trying to figure out what's going on. Doctor X is also in two-strip Technicolor, which also makes the movie more worth at least one viewing.

No comments: