Saturday, April 23, 2016

Guy Hamilton, 1922-2016

I probably should have mentioned the death of director Guy Hamilton earlier, but this week has been busy and then Prince up and died. So I haven't gotten to blog about quite as much as I would have.

Hamilton started his career as an assistant director to Carol Reed in the late 1940s, working on The Third Man among other things. His career as a lead director started in the 1950s, finally reaching more prestigious movies when he was named director of The Devil's Disciple, a film set during the American Revolution and starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.

'You expect me to talk?' 'No, Mr. Hamilton, I expect you to direct!'Hamilton, however, probably became most famous when in 1964 he was tapped to direct Goldfinger, the third James Bond film. Hamilton would later direct three more Bond movies in the 1970s.

Among Hamilton's other movies are The Battle of Britain and Man in the Middle.

No comments: