Tuesday, April 19, 2016

TCM Guest Programmer April 2016: Gloria Steinem

Tonight sees the monthly Guest Programmer on TCM, Gloria Steinem. As far as I am aware, the Guest Programmer segments were done before Robert Osborne's illness led to his absence from introducing films on TCM, so this should have him sitting down with her to present the four movies.

Steinem's four selections are:

A Taste of Honey at 8:00 PM, a movie that I have to admit I haven't seen before. It's apparently one of Tony Richardson's "Kitchen Sink" films from the UK in the early 1960s, dealing with the tribulations of a single pregnant teen.
10:00 PM sees Breakfast at Tiffany's, the story of Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) and her relationship with a writer (George Peppard) who lives in her apartment building. I'm not a particular fan of this movie, to be honest. Watch for Mickey Rooney playing an Asian. Really.
My lack of affection of Breakfast at Tiffany's, however, is not as severe as my lack of affection for Steinem's third choice, Mr. Arkadin, at 12:15 AM. Orson Welles directed, and I think he re-edited and re-edited this movie up until his death, since the movie makes little sense. But there are people out there who think that Orson Welles directed, so it must be a masterpiece.
Finally, at 2:15 AM, there is the good political thriller Z. Il est vivant!

No comments: