Friday, January 6, 2017

Briefs for January 6-7, 2017

I ought to take part in the Thursday Movie Picks blogathon more often. I think that post got me more comments than anything else I've written! I also didn't realize that The Paradine Case only seems to be available on DVD via an Asian import, which is a bit of a shame.

It's been five years since I mentioned Cover-Up, which will be on TCM again tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM. A movie with a really interesting premise, although one that might have been better if there were no Production Code.

For those of you who have FXM, Rawhide is going to be back on the channel tomorrow at 8:35 AM. Tyrone Power does OK, and it's nice to see this one on FXM. As I wrote back in 2013 when TCM got the rights to a couple of showings of it, I was surprised that it wasn't on FXM. (And speaking of Tyrone Power movies, FXM needs to resurrect Alexander's Ragtime Band.)

Rawhide will be followed at 10:20 AM by Young Jesse James, although that one has been back on the FXM schedule off and on since last spring. I've said it before, but I'm always interested in the ~75-minute movies Fox distributed in the early 1960s while the rest of the studio was trying to finance the years-long production of the Elizabeth Taylor Cleopatra.

No comments: