Saturday, February 23, 2019

Briefs I should have mentioned over the past week

I mentioned some time back that the movie theater in our dead mall closed down back in August. Apparently, the replacement is scheduled to open some time in the spring. Not that I was planning to go there to see the latest comic book blockbuster.

I'm always surprised at what's out of print on DVD. I recorded Two Gun Man from Harlem when TCM ran it at the end of January and was going to do a post on it, but apparently the DVD is out of print. I would have thought that with the greater emphasis on diversity and all things minority that's developed in recent years that there would be more interest in the old "race movies".

The grandchildren of old Hollywood stars are dying now. Frankly, my dear, I'd never heard of the show and it doesn't sound like something I'd watch, but that's beside the point. Thrity is much too young.

John Wayne's been dead for 40 years, but for some reason somebody decided to dredge up an old interview of his and start a controversy because... why exactly? I've been thinking more and more that the problem most people have with the Hollywood blacklist isn't that people were getting banned for political views unrelated to making movies, but because those political views are liked by the people who oppose the blacklist. Have different political views? Sure, you deserve to be wiped from Hollywood history.

No comments: