Sunday, February 24, 2019

That awards show tonight

This being a movie blog, I should probably mention tonight being the night the Oscars are handed out. Not that I'm going to watch, and not only because I generally talk about old movies. I work the early shift and get up at 4:00, so I'm not staying up until past 11:00 (no, I don't believe the show will wrap up in three hours) to watch an awards show. The only prediction I'll make is that Roma wins at least one award and somebody (not necessarily the award winner) will use that to go on a screed about Donald Trump and immigration.. Shocking prediction, ain't it.

I've mentioned a bunch of times before that I listen to the old international broadcasters that used to be on short-wave a generation ago. Polish Radio's English service has been going on about Paweł Pawlikowski thanks to the nominations for Cold War, even having a brief conversation with the Mexican ambassador thanks to the nominations against each other for Cold War and Roma. One of their weekly programs (~30 min, 27.2 MB MP3 download) has a segment on Pawlikowski's Oscar hopes, but I couldn't find the segment by itself and that program has two other segments that may or may not be of interest.

Naked Gun 33-1/3: The Final Insult is going to be on Showtime Extreme tomorrow at noon for those who have the Showtime package. It's probably more appropriate for today considering the climax is Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) and company trying to stop a criminal from setting of a bomb at the Academy Awards.

No comments: