Thursday, March 28, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #246: Non-English TV Shows (TV edition)



This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This being the last Thursday of the month, it's once again time for a TV edition, with this month's theme being non-English language TV shows. I don't watch much episodic TV, and even less foreign TV, so this one was a bit difficult for me. Eventually I found some clips that I hope you'll all find interesting:



Vremya. Soviet-era nightly news show. I recall our local PBS station showing programs for a short time in the 1980s (I forget whether they were subtitled or dubbed) under some silly guise of "this is how Russian people see the world", or some such. I remember that 80s theme. I also found on Youtube on from May 9, 1975, which is an important day because it was Victory Day, the 30th anniversary of the surrender of the Nazis at the end of the European campaign in World War II.





Mainzelmännchen. These little animated figures were used for decades on German broadcaster ZDF as interestitials between advertisements.



Fort Boyard. French action game show that debuted in 1990 and has been exported to a whole lot of countries where it also had success -- except for the US.

1 comment:

Birgit said...

I could find nothing this week. The Russian news was so different from ours. The animated guys are just so German. I had seen the English version of that French game show but most don't interest me (I do like the Amazing Race though). I would not like going through those tight tunnels with the water running through...scary.