Thursday, September 19, 2019

Schedule notice for September 19-20, 2019


TCM is showing several pre-Codes this morning and afternoon. I've blogged about a number of them before, although the TCM site suggests a couple of them are now out of print on DVD. One that I haven't mentioned before, I don't think, is The Match King at 8:15 AM, which is loosely based on the story of Ivar Kreuger.

Also worth watching again is the George Arliss movie A Successful Calamity at 12:30 PM, which I used in a Thursday Movie Picks post almost exactly two years ago. A couple of months later, I used The Purchase Price (9:45 AM), a Barbara Stanwyck movie in whch she escapes from an abusive boyfriend and winds up marrying North Dakota farmer George Brent.

Tomorrow's lineup on TCM is a bunch of 60s spy movies, following the night of James Bond films. I've mentioned The Liquidator before; that one comes up at 9:30 AM and is certainly worth a watch. Not a spy movie, but definitely worth a watch, is the short The Your Name Here Story (about 1:10 PM in the time slot for the Montgomery Clift movie The Defector). This one is a spoof of industrial promotional movies, and happens to be on Youtube:

No comments: