Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #281: Dystopia/Apocolypse (TV Edition)





This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. Now that we're at the final Thursday of the month, it's time for another TV edition. And with it being Thanksgiving here in the US, what better theme than dystopia! Now, of course, I look at dystopia a bit differently from the rest of you, so I'm sure my selections are going to be rather different. In fact, I probably could have used the same selections I used for the "Horror" theme last month, but am not going with those.



Cops (1989-). Long-running TV show in which the police run roughshod over people stupid enough to sign the release forms to be used on TV, and one of the many police shows over the decades that have inculcated in people the idea that the cops can do no wrong and that the "obey or die" mentality is a good thing, one that got ramped up after September 11, 2001: look at all the people traveling for Thanksgiving who meekly submit to the useless TSA.



Sports Night (1998-2000). Tedious "comedy" about a late-night cable sports show and its behind the scenes workings, which had the idea that sports shows should be about shoving the proper political opinions down people's throats, an idea that ESPN has run with increasingly over the past several years. It also inflicted Aaron Sorkin on the world.



Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire? (2000). One-off special in which 50 women competed to win the right to marry a multi-millionaire whom they did not see until the end of the show. Because that's how I want to find a partner. Needless to say, the marriage did not last.

And with that, have a happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Sonia Cerca said...

I haven’t heard of any of these. Is it bad? Haha

Brittani Burnham said...

This hilarious. I quite literally laughed when I saw COPS as your first pick. That's the only one from your picks that I've actually seen an episode of though I'm familiar with the others.