Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Briefs for August 19-20, 2020


Today's star in TCMs Summer Under the Stars is Dolores Del Rio. For some reason, none of TCM's schedules is showing the movie in the 8:00 PM time slot -- and I looked at the daily, weekly, and monthly schedules. A quick trip over to the TV and the box guide says Ramona. This would have to be the 1928 silent, since that's the one she's in (I haven't seen it, so I can't further comment on the movie). The following movie is Bird of Paradise with Joel McCrea, which is definitely worth a watch.

I haven't done a birthday post in a while, and am not doing one today since there aren't too many big ones today. I think I did a birthday post on Debra Paget (as far as I know still alive at 87) some years back. Today is also the 80th birthday of Jill St. John, who among other things played Tiffany Case in Diamonds are Forever.

I do, however, have to mention another passing, which is that of Ben Cross. In a varied career on stage and screen, Cross is probably best remembered for playing Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire. Interestingly, Ian Holm, who played Abrahams' coach in Chariots of Fire, also died earlier this year, so I'd bet that when it comes time for the end of year TCM Remembers piece, the two will be right next to each other.

Tomorrow's star in Summer Under the Stars is William Powell. The day kicks off at 6:00 AM with The Key and concludes at 4:45 AM Friday with High Pressure, which interestingly enough both happen to be on the same William Powell box set I mentioned when I reviews High Pressure. (I haven't gotten around to watching The Key yet.

Posting is actually going to be a bit heavy the rest of the week as I've got a couple of blogathons to participate in as well as movies that are coming up on TV soon so I want to make a point of doing the blog post on them now (I'll have to check again whether they have a DVD release or not).

No comments: