Thursday, August 27, 2020

Briefs for August 27-28, 2020

I'm not going to be taking part in this week's Thursday Movie Picks because it's a TV edition, with the theme being prequels. TV prequels are a subject I don't know much about. I remembered Muppet Babies from the 1980s, and was surprised to see that it got revirevived a few years back. Shows how much recent episodic TV I watch.

I should probably mention the passing of actress Lori Nelson, who died on Sunday about a week after her 87th birthday. I mentioned her not all that long ago as the club-footed girl Jack Palance helps in I Died a Thousand Times, but she was also Mamie Van Doren's sister in Untamed Youth, one of my Against the Grain selections.

As for birthdays, I think I did a birthday post on Cecil Kellaway some years back. There's also James Finlayson, who was the foil in a bunch of the Laurel and Hardy shorts. I found him on YouTube in The Soilers, a public domain short from before Laurel was with Hardy. Finlayson is Snacknamara, the bald guy:



Today in Summer Under the Stars we get Claudette Colbert, which means another chance to catch It Happened One Night at 8:00 PM and The Palm Beach Story at midnight. Tomorrow brings the movies of Paul Henried, so you can watch the recently blogged-about Song of Love at 10:00 AM.

Over on FXM, there's another airing of last week's mention Flight of the Phoenix at 12:30 PM, and another returned to the FXM rotation, Patton getting a pair of airings at 3:00 AM and 9:35 AM.

No comments: