Friday, November 20, 2020

Briefs for Nov. 20-21, 2020

Something seems to be up with IMDb's search site. When I was watching Woman Wanted to do the post on it here, I noticed that the boat house where Joel McCrea takes Maureen O'Sullivan seems mighty familiar, as though the set was used in another movie. That's not surprising, of course; I just couldn't figure out which movie it was. Since Woman Wanted was released by MGM in 1935, I decided I'd look up what movies MGM released from 1934 to 1936 and see if I recognized the title. IMDb's Advanced Title Search has a selector for companies, so I ticked that. But the search yielded a bunch of movies, many British, that were made somewhere else and distributed by MGM. As far as I can recall the studio option didn't do that in the past.

The first movie up in this week's TCM Underground is Earth Girls Are Easy, overnight at 2:00 AM. I blogged about this one back in April, and I think it's a TCM premiere although I'm not certain. (I don't recall seeing it on TCM since I started paying great attention to the schedules which was even before I started blogging, and that was in January of 2008.)

There's almost nothing I haven't blogged about coming up on FXM Retro in the next several days; I think there might be a Fox musical or two like Coney Island and/or Greenwich Village. Looking at tomorrow's schedule, I think I did full-length posts earlier this yera on all of the movies with the exception of The Incident at 1:20 PM; it turns out I already mentioned back at the end of January that it was back in the FXM rotation.

Following the previous TCM showing of Woman Wanted, or maybe it was Breakfast or Two, there was several minutes left in the 75-minute slot, but not enough for a short, so TCM ran other stuff like the "TCM Classic Movie News" report. It mentioned Alex Trebek's final book, The Answer Is, and even though the piece was recorded and aired before Trebek's recent death (ie. my recordings of both those movies were from before his death), it still seemed a bit macabre to see the book being hawked.

Among today's births are Estelle Parsons, who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role in Bonnie and Clyde; she turns 93. Also celebrating a birthday is Bo Derek, whose memorable hair graced the movie 10; she's turning 64.

No comments: