Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Terence Fisher, 1904-1980

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

Since TCM is running a non-birthday salute to Dirk Bogarde today, I decided to look through the list of birthdays to see who's on the list. I wasn't certain if I had done a post on Norman Taurog before, so I decided to go with Terence Fisher, one of those names you might not recognize, but whose work you would.

Fisher, like a lot of directors, started out as an editor, in British movies of the late 1930s and 1940s. He moved to directing in the late 1940s, with a lot of movies I don't recognize, although there's So Long at the Fair which he co-directed with Anthony Darnborough, and the Diana Dors movie The Last Page (aka Man Bait, which I blogged about several months back.

It was in the late 1950s that his true claim to fame came, when he started working with Hammer on their horror movies, first with 1957's The Curse of Frankenstein. Fisher, along with cast members like Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, help define a style over the next dozen years or so. TCM seems to have the rights to the Hammer horror films as they trot them out every October.

No comments: