Sunday, August 22, 2021

Briefs for August 22-23, 2021

Tyrone Power was today's star in TCM's Summer Under the Stars. One of his movies that wasn't on TCM's schedule is the fun swashbuckler The Black Swan. But it happens to be on the FXM schedule, tomorrow at 7:40 AM. Speaking of Power, another of his movies is coming up on FXM at the end of the week: Diplomatic Courier, at 9:25 AM Thursday and 7:50 AM Friday. That one's interesting because it's set in Trieste back when it was nominally part of any modern-day country, in the years just after World War II. I blogged about it all the way back in February 2008 and I think this new batch of airings are the first since 2008.

Another movie that's been showing up on the FXM schedule is the Richard Burton/Elizabeth Taylor Cleopatra, which always takes up a large part of the FXM Retro daypart since it gets a 255-minute block, with one at 10:45 AM Monday and another at 6:00 AM Tuesday. I mention the movie a lot because I think the financial situation around the movie had an influence on what else Fox did in those days, but I have to admit I've gotten around to watching the movie in full. And right now, I don't really have the space on my DVR to record it.

Tropical Storm Henri is hitting, although thankfully over here in the Catskills it hasn't been as bad as the forecast. But I've already got posts for Monday and Tuesday up in anticipation of movies airing on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, so for once I'm actually a bit ahead of the game in what to blog about. That's also why you're getting a briefs post.

Tomorrow in Summer Under the Stars, it's 24 hours of Eve Arden. That of course means an obligatory airing of Mildred Pierce (9:45 PM Aug. 23), in which she gives a great performace that earned her an Oscar nomination. The day kicks off at 6:00 AM with Stage Door, although Arden is well down the list behind some other enjoyable actresses of the late 1930s.

No comments: