Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Jane Withers, 1926-2001

Jane Withers (l.) with Shirley Temple in Bright Eyes (1934)

Child star Jane Withers, who turned 95 a few months back, died on Saturday. I'll probably always best remember her for playing opposite Shirley Temple in Bright Eyes, and getting the memorable finale, albeit it a scene that probably couldn't be made today. Withers plays such an obnoxious brat that she winds up stealing the show from Shirley, which is a pretty tough thing to do.

Withers retired at age 21 to get married, but came out of retirement to appear in Giant alongside a couple of big names in Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, and James Dean as Vashti, neighbor to the couple played by Taylor and Husdon

I didn't know until hearing about her death that she also played advertising figure Josephine the Plumber in a series of ads for Comet Cleanser from 1963 to 1974. That's before I have any memory of events, which is why even though I'd heard the name Josephine the Plumber I don't think I'd actually seen any of the commercials:

1 comment:

Birgit said...

I’m so glad you have a post about Jane Withers. I guess the last one left of the biggies is Virginia O’ Brien. Jane was a good little actress and I was always gleeful when Shirley Temple was outsmarted a bit. I do remember her commercials for comet.