Friday, December 31, 2021

New Year's 2021-2022 briefs

We're at the end of another year, and once again it's not a surprise that there's special programming on various TV channels. TCM is no different, and is bringing out two of its New Year's warhorses. First up is the That's Entertainment! series, starting at 11:00 AM on December 31, with all three of the That's Entertainment! movies along with That's Dancing! at 6:00 PM. I mentioned it several years ago, but I've always been amused by how the trailer for the first That's Entertainment! said something like "We may never see it again", and two years later there was the first sequel.

Following the daytime block of That's Entertainment! movies, there are all six of the Thin Man movies starting at 8:00 PM, and continuing through to 7:00 AM tomorrow, when we need one hour filled in before the start of the Saturday matinee block. I think I mentioned a couple of weeks back that, with the end of the Torchy Blane movies, the 10:00 AM slot of the block is being filled with the Bowery Boys movies. I have no idea if TCM is going to run through all of the Bowery Boys movies.

As far as I can tell, FXM isn't doing anything special for the holiday. However, looking ahead in the schedule, I notice that the FXM Retro block is remaining, some ten years after the old Fox Movie Channel switched from 24 hours commercial free with mostly older movies to having the commercial-free movies just during the daytime. The FXM Retro block does have some more recent movies, although I think the oldest I've seen recently is All About Eve from 1950.

I passed 6,000 post this year, and at the rate I'm going, that means I'd be getting up to 7,000 sometime in early 2024. I never thought when I started the blog that I'd be going on for 14 years and watch that many movies. I don't know that I have any big changes planned for the blog, although one of these days I have to get around to cataloging all of the movies I've blogged about. I started one a while back, although I changed computers and never got to keeping it up.

The Thursday Movie Picks blogathon is continuing in 2022, as Wanderer over at Wandering Through the Shelves has announced most of the 2022 lineup. Having said that, I'm probably going to have to take a few weeks off in January as I don't watch much episodic TV and have only been in a movie theater twice in the last six years, and don't really intend to go back if I have to deal with all the coronavirus restrictions.

Happy New Year 2022 to all the readers, and if you still use paper checks, remember to date them properly!

No comments: