Monday, January 10, 2022

Briefs for January 10-11, 2022

I didn't expect to be mentioning several more obituaries shortly after the deaths of Peter Bogdanovich and Sidney Poitier. But there are a couple, starting with Dwayne Hickman. He started in Hollywood in the 1940s and appeared opposite fellow child star Dean Stockwell in The Boy With Green Hair among others, before going on to his biggest claim to fame in the TV show The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis in the late 1950s. Hickman was 87, and the younger brother of Darryl Hickman; Darryl is still alive at 90.

I tend not to think of Bob Saget as a movie star, but he was famous enough that his death probably ought to be mentioned, too. A lesser-known name who died on Saturday is Marilyn Bergman, a lyricist who won three Oscars, of which writing the lyrics to "The Way We Were" is more likely best known:

And no, I have no idea what's up with Ann-Margret's outfit.

Over on FXM, one that's been showing up recently is a movie I don't think I've mentioned here before, In Like Flint. One of those 60s spy spoofs, its next airing is at 11:20 AM tomorrow (Jan. 11). I'll have to see if I've got enough space on my DVR for it. I already lost my recording of Das Boot because it got automatically deleted when I ran out of space recording ther stuff.

TCM tomorrow is running a bunch of Constance Bennett movies. These include the first Topper movie at 2:45 PM, as well as Greta Garbo's final film, Two-Faced Woman at 10:15 AM.

No comments: