Monday, January 3, 2022

TCM Star of the Month January 2022: Kay Francis

Now that we're into the first full week of a new month, it's time for another Star of the Month on TCM. This time out, that star is Kay Francis, who was the queen of the Warner Bros. lot before Bette Davis took over that title. Francis was also know for her fashion sense and her difficulty with the letter R. Francis' films will be shown on TCM on four of the five Mondays this month, with a break for Martin Luther King Day on January 17.

If memory serves, the bit about her speech impediment is actually lampooned by co-star George Brent in the movie Living on Velvet, which TCM is showing at 1:45 AM on January 11. I've seen it before, and a search of the blog claims I haven't done a post on it before, which makes me wonder whether or not Blogger's search function is acting up again. Unfortunately, I don't have Living on Velvet on my DVR, so I don't think I'll be doing a post on it this month.

One of Francis' movies that I do plan on blogging about in January is Allotment Wives, which comes up on January 25 at 12:45 AM, or still on Monday, January 24 in more westerly time zones. I recorded that one back during Summer Under the Stars, so barring any technical issues with the recording, I'll finally get around to watching it.

As for this first night of her tribute, there are a couple that I don't think I've seen before, as well as ones I think I've seen but haven't blogged about before. So First Lady (12:30 AM tonight) is going on the DVR assuming there's space, and maybe one or two of the others. Before that, there's Jewel Robbery, a really fun pre-Code from the days when William Powell was still at Warner Bros., at 8:00 PM; followed by Trouble in Paradise at 9:30 PM.

No comments: