Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Briefs for April 6-7, 2022

I actually have a movie in the pipeline to review, but I noticed that tonight is the first night of one of TCM's spotlights for April. On Wednesdays in April, TCM is showing movies dealing with the subjects of addiction and recovery. Now, for a lot of Hollywood's history, that meant alcohol, because for whatever reason the Production Code didn't seem to have as much problem with showing people drinking to excess the way the seemed to have with other drugs, especially drugs that weren't legal. Heck, we all know that there's a plethora of funny drunks on screen, starting with Nick and Nora Charles and continuing ever since. The spotlight kicks off tonight at 8:00 PM with The Lost Weekend, which I did a shortish review of back in 2011. Next week, one that's well worth watching is The Days of Wine and Roses at 4:00 AM on April 14. I don't think I've actually seen Bright Lights, Big City yet, so I'm looking forward to that. Less Than Zero, for better or worse, is not part of the spotlight.

There's going to be another month-long programming theme on TCM on Thursday nights. This one focuses on time travel in the movies, so there's a lot of science fiction. The spotlight starts with the 1968 version of Planet of the Apes at 8:00 PM April 7. The following week, Time Bandits will be on at 1:00 AM April 15. I've got that one on my DVR, so expect a post on it next Thursday. Also airing in the second week is the HG Wells/Jack the Ripper movie Time After Time at 10:00 PM April 14.

There doesn't seem to be much worth mentioning over on FXM, but I notice that a movie that was in the rotation last year is now showing up over on Starz Kids and Family: Kidco. There's an airing at 11:26 PM this evening, followed by a bunch more next week.

Photobucket keeps sending me nastygrams about my dormant account which, because it has too many photos in it, results in photos in old posts having a Photobucket watermark on them. Now, they're suggesting they could just delete the account since I haven't used it in so long. Some of the old photos I used and stored on Photobucket I've since reloaded to Blogger, such as a couple of the Errol Flynn pictures on Monday, but other than that I'd have to look through pretty much every post, which I haven't felt the need to do.

Estelle Harris died over the weekend at the age of 93. I didn't post anything earlier, mostly because I think of her as George Costanza's mother from Seinfeld and not from movie roles. Not having nieces or nephews locally who are the right age to watch the Pixar movies, I didn't realize that she also provided a voice for the Toy Story movies.

Definitely worth mentioning, however, is the passing of character actor Nehemiah Persoff, whose career dates back to the 1950s with a notable role in Some Like It Hot among a lot of other TV and movie appearances. Persoff was 102.

No comments: